2017 East Montpelier Elected & Appointed Officers

2017 East Montpelier Elected Officers
2017 East Montpelier Appointed Officers

Constables
East Montpelier Animal Control Officers
East Montpelier Health Officer
Listers
Auditors
Public Works
Town Administration
Town Clerk
Town Treasurer

Town Government

The first Montpelier Town Meeting was held on March 29, 1791. At that meeting, twenty-seven residents elected a moderator, town clerk, three selectman, a treasurer, a tax collector, listers, and a fence viewer. From that time until 1849, what we now know as East Montpelier was part of the Town of Montpelier. In 1848, the State Legislature approved a division effective on January 1, 1849 and the Town of East Montpelier was incorporated.

Traditionally, the town has conducted a Town Meeting on the first Tuesday in March. A public forum is held in late February/early March to discuss warmed items. On the floor at Town Meeting residents hear and discuss reports from various town officers and committees, vote on the school budget, and decide on a standard slate of funding articles fro, but no limited to, the Cemetery Commission, Four Corners Schoolhouse Associate, and the Funding Request Study Committee. In addition, special articles appear in the town warnings on such diverse subject as buying a fire truck to funding land conservation. On the same day of the town budget, funding articles over $25,000 and election of town officials are voted by Australian Ballot.

Town offices are located in a former two-room schoolhouse in East Montpelier Village. The offices were fully renovated and made handicapped accessible in 1988. The building now includes office space for town employees and provides for adequate and well-utilized meeting spaces.