When do East Montpelier committees & boards regularly meet?

Meetings are held at the Town Office Building unless special notice is provided, except for the Recreation Board, which meets at East Montpelier Elementary School. The regular schedule of board & committee meetings is as follows:

Selectboard 6:30 p.m. – 1st & 3rd Mondays of every month

Planning Commission 7:00 p.m. – 1st & 3rd Thursdays of every month

Development Review Board 7:00 p.m. – 1st Tuesday of every month, as needed

Capital Improvement Committee 6:00 p.m. – 1st Wednesday of every month

Recreation Board 7:15 p.m. – 2nd Mondays of every month


How do I report a road problem?

If the road problem is a maintenance issue, such as rough edges, pot holes, plugged culverts, missing signs, etc., please call the Town Garage at 223-5870 and leave a message for Road Foreman Guthrie Perry. Please remember we have a lot of roads and a small crew – they will get back to you, but you may not get an immediate response.

If the road problem is time sensitive, such as a tree across the road or some other road issue that is an imminent danger to travelers, please contact us: during regular office hours, call the Town Garage at 223-5870 or the Town Clerk at 223-3313; after hours call the Road Foreman’s pager at 250-3717.

If the road problem is an emergency, such as an accident, a downed power line, or a complete wash-out, please call 911 and then call the town at the numbers above.


Do I need a permit to use fireworks or to burn brush?

Yes, in most situations you will need a permit to use fireworks or to burn brush on your property.

The town has a fireworks ordinance, based on state statute, that mandates a fireworks permit for any use and discharge of fireworks with East Montpelier. Chief Larry Brown of the East Montpelier Volunteer Fire Department (EMFD) is in charge of the permitting process. An application for a permit must be submitted at least 15 days in advance of the planned fireworks use date. Please start this process by calling the EMFD at 225-6245 or 225-6247.

Under most circumstances, state statute requires you to obtain permission from the town’s fire warden prior to any open air burning of material. EMFD’s Ty Rolland is the East Montpelier Fire Warden. To obtain a permit, or simply to determine if one is required, please call the EMFD at 225-6245 or 225-6247.


Do I need a zoning permit to construct a shed or bring fill onto my property?

East Montpelier has both zoning and subdivision regulations (all contained in the East Montpelier Land Use & Development Regulations). Generally speaking, any land development requires a local zoning permit. The definition of land development is very broad:

The division of a parcel into two or more parcels, the construction, reconstruction, conversion, structural alteration, relocation or enlargement of any building or other structure, or of any mining, excavation or landfill, and any change in the use of any building or other structure, or land, or extension of use.

There are some exceptions and exemptions, but most of those require notice to the town and a determination by the town’s zoning administrator that the exemption/exception applies.

Please contact the Zoning Administrator at 223-3313×205 to discuss your proposed project. Obtaining a permit for a residential project is usually a simple process as long as you can meet the required setbacks from your property boundaries.


When is my property tax bill due?

Each year at Town Meeting the voters determine the timing and basic rules for property tax payments. For FY2022 (July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022), the tax bills were sent out in the middle of August 2021. Payment 1 was due and postmarked by Monday, November 15, 2021. Payment 2 is due and postmarked by Monday, May 16, 2022.

If you are late with Payment 1, you will be charged 1% interest/month on the amount due. If you are late with any portion of your property taxes as of the due date of Payment 2, the unpaid portion will be delinquent and you will be charged an immediate 8% penalty on the unpaid amount plus 1% interest/month. Current and late taxes are handled by Town Treasurer Don Welch (223-3313×207); delinquent taxes are handled by Town Administrator Bruce Johnson (223-3313×205).

If you need a copy of your tax bill, please contact Town Clerk Rosie Laquerre (223-3313×201) or Municipal Assistant Denise Sparrow (223-3313×202).

If you would like to discuss your property assessment, please contact the town listers (223-3313×206). At least one of the listers is available every business day from 10 a.m. to noon.

If you have a question regarding some element of the tax process that involves the state (homestead declaration, income sensitivity, renters rebate, etc.), either call us at the numbers above or contact the State of Vermont Taxpayer Services at 828-2865.


What does the town do with used culverts?

Road Foreman Guthrie Perry and the town’s road crew replace/upgrade culverts on a regular basis. The old culverts are often rusty, out-of-shape, and otherwise damaged, but may have some useful life remaining — just not in town roads. Used culverts are stored at the town garage (325 Templeton Road) until they are reused, recycled, trashed, or provided to a town resident. Culverts are available on a first-come, first-served basis. There may be a small charge, depending on the culvert’s remaining value. If you have interest in a used culvert, please call the Town Garage at 223-5870 and leave a message for Road Foreman Perry.